(August 26, 2014) VFIS and the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) Safety, Health and Survival Section (SHSS) recently recognized Howard County (Maryland) Fire-Rescue Department with the 2014 Billy Goldfeder Fire Service Organizational Safety Award.
Sponsored by VFIS, the award is presented to a fire department that exhibits organization-wide initiatives to enhance the department’s level of safety.
The following safety, health and wellness programs have been developed and are currently operational within the Howard County Fire-Rescue Department:
- Smoking Cessation and Prohibition Program
- Courage To Be Safe – Part of the Everyone Goes Home Program
- IAFF Fire Ground Survival Training Program
- Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) Program
- Johns Hopkins University Medical Center Cardiovascular Study
- Annual Physical Evaluations
- Blue Card ICS Training Program
- Shift Safety Officers and Battalion Aides
Find educational resources for implementing your own safety, health and wellness program here.